Guido Crosetto
Coverage of Guido Crosetto in the Nexus archive.
- Italian Defense Minister Offers Advisory Role to Mykhailo Fedorov
Italian Defense Minister Guido Crosetto offered Mykhailo Fedorov a military advisor role in Rome, citing his role in battlefield innovations. Fedorov had been dismissed on July 15 and later rejected a military innovations position from President Volodymyr Zelensky.
- Italy’s defense minister offered adviser job to ousted Ukrainian defense chief
Italian Defense Minister Guido Crosetto offered a job to Mykhailo Fedorov, the Ukrainian defense chief removed by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, proposing him as an adviser in Rome. Crosetto praised Fedorov for military innovation but noted resistance to change in several European countries. Fedorov has not publicly responded to the offer.
- Canada becomes first observer to British-Italian-Japanese GCAP fighter jet project
Canada has joined as an observer to the British-Italian-Japanese Global Combat Air Programme (GCAP) to develop a sixth-generation fighter aircraft. Canadian Defence Minister David McGuinty signed the agreement with counterparts from the UK, Italy, and Japan, aiming to diversify defense partnerships amid US-China competition in future air power.
- Canada joins British-Italian-Japanese fighter jet project
Canada has been included as an observer in the Global Combat Air Programme (GCAP), a joint British-Italian-Japanese project to develop a sixth-generation fighter jet by 2035. The initiative aims to strengthen supply chains and industrial collaboration, with the UK allocating £8.6 billion for the project over four years.
- Rome brushes off Trump’s ‘restraining order’ meme targeting Meloni
Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni's ministers downplayed U.S. President Donald Trump's public feud with her, emphasizing the importance of maintaining transatlantic relations. Trump shared a meme on Truth Social joking about needing a restraining order against Meloni, following an awkward G7 summit meeting where he claimed she 'begged' for a photo. Italian officials reiterated that government relations with the U.S. remain unaffected by Trump's comments.
- Italy denies authorising use of airbases for US attacks on Iran
Italy denies authorizing the use of its airbases for US attacks on Iran. Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani confirmed this in a phone call with Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi, while NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte's earlier remarks sparked political debate in Italy. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and Defence Minister Guido Crosetto reiterated that the bases are used for technical and logistical activities, not military action against Iran.
- Italy allowed US jets to use bases for Iran strikes, NATO’s Rutte says
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte stated Italy allowed 500 U.S. military aircraft to use its bases for strikes on Iran, prompting political backlash in Italy. Italian officials disputed Rutte's claims, asserting only treaty-compliant flights were permitted, while opposition figures accused the government of misleading parliament.
- Outrage in Italy after Trump says Meloni 'begged' for photo op
Italy reacted angrily to US President Donald Trump's reported comments mocking Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, leading to the cancellation of a planned US visit by the foreign minister. Meloni denied the allegations, calling them 'made up,' while Trump's remarks were criticized as offensive by Italian officials.
- Italy’s Meloni fires back after Trump says she ‘begged’ him for a photo
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni accused U.S. President Donald Trump of making 'completely made-up' claims that she 'begged' for a photo at the G7 summit. Trump's remarks contradicted Meloni's assertion that their relationship remains strong, prompting backlash from Italian officials who called his comments offensive.
- Italy rejects aid scheme that buys US weapons for Ukraine’s defense
Italy has decided not to fund the NATO Prioritised Ukraine Requirements List (PURL) scheme, which channels contributions to purchase U.S. weapons for Ukraine. The country is also reconsidering participation in EU defense spending programs like NEC and SAFE, as Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni prioritizes domestic economic concerns over increased military expenditures.
- Division in Meloni’s government delays final decision on SAFE
Division within Italy's government has delayed a final decision on joining the SAFE initiative. Guido Crosetto stated uncertainty about Italy's participation.
- UK defense secretary resigns in protest of government spending plan
British Defense Secretary John Healey resigned, criticizing the government's defense spending plan as insufficient. The delayed Defense Investment Plan (DIP) faces criticism for not meeting readiness needs amid rising threats. His resignation impacts the UK's GCAP fighter program with Italy and Japan.
- Italy rethinks EU defense-financing aid as arms spending falls out of fashion
Italy is considering rejecting €14.9 billion in EU-backed SAFE loans for defense spending, potentially forgoing about €27 billion in total rearmament aid. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni is prioritizing energy cost relief over NATO defense spending targets, and is pushing the EU to allow defense spending exemptions to be used for energy security instead.
- Trump threatens to withdraw US troops from Italy and Spain – Europe live
US President Donald Trump threatens to withdraw troops from Italy and Spain, citing criticism of the US-Israeli war on Iran. Italy's defense minister Guido Crosetto denies accusations of insufficient support, particularly regarding maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz.