Doug Ford
Coverage of Doug Ford in the Nexus archive.
- Gunman fired at US consulate in Toronto, second time building was shot at this year
A gunman fired at the U.S. Consulate in Toronto, marking the second time this year the building was targeted. No injuries were reported, and police are investigating potential links to recent attacks on Jewish-owned businesses and a possible connection to gun-for-hire networks.
- Ontario Premier Doug Ford on Trump's new tariff threat: "It's unfortunate he took this avenue"
The U.S. imposed a 10% tariff on Canada with 50% duties set for August, escalating trade tensions. Ontario Premier Doug Ford criticized the move as 'unfortunate.'
- Canada celebrates new bridge to US during tariff troubles with Trump
Canada celebrated the completion of the new Gordie Howe International Bridge over the Detroit River, which will enhance trade, jobs, and tourism between the U.S. and Canada. The event occurred amid Trump's 50% tariffs on Canadian goods, leading to the absence of U.S. and Michigan representatives.
- Ontario Premier Doug Ford says "we didn't start this trade war" as Trump slaps Canada with tariffs
Ontario Premier Doug Ford stated that Canada did not initiate the trade war, criticizing President Trump's new tariffs on Canada. The discussion occurred during a conversation with CBS News correspondent Ed O'Keefe about the Gordie Howe Bridge opening and Trump's tariffs.
- Carney says he and Trump will intensify trade negotiations after US imposes 50% tariffs
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and Donald Trump agreed to intensify trade negotiations after the U.S. imposed 50% tariffs on most Canadian goods, excluding energy products, potash, fish, and critical minerals. The tariffs target goods previously protected under the USMCA, which the U.S. did not renew, and could harm economic relations between the two nations. Canadian leaders criticized the move, warning of increased costs and strained bilateral ties.
- Indigenous leaders from northwestern Ontario react to premier's wildfire response
Indigenous leaders from Gull Bay First Nation, Whitewater Lake First Nation, Fort William First Nation, Anishinabek Nation, Nokiiwin Tribal Council, and Nishnawbe Aski Nation are set to address wildfires and Ontario Premier Doug Ford's response in Thunder Bay on Tuesday.
- First Nations groups devastated by Canada’s wildfires say government did not help
First Nations groups in Canada were devastated by wildfires, with some forced to self-evacuate without government assistance or emergency alerts. Thirteen communities in Ontario, most of them First Nations, were ordered to evacuate as fast-moving fires burned two communities to the ground. Ontario Premier Doug Ford reported nearly 2,000 people evacuated to cities like Toronto and Niagara Falls.
- Trump imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian goods, citing disputes over autos, alcohol and cheese
President Donald Trump imposed 50% tariffs on most Canadian goods, citing unfair discrimination against American autos, alcohol, and dairy products. The move risks escalating tensions and triggering a trade war, with Canada preparing to negotiate while expressing concerns over rising costs for families.
- The US-Canada trade war heats up again as Trump imposes a 50% tariff on some Canadian goods
Trump imposes a 50% tariff on some Canadian goods under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, citing discriminatory practices like removing U.S. alcohol from Canadian shelves and favoring EU dairy products. Canada's Ontario Premier Doug Ford urges a 'tariff for tariff' response, as trade tensions escalate following the U.S. refusal to renew the USMCA agreement.
- Ontario premier pushes back after Trump blames Canada for wildfire smoke
Ontario Premier Doug Ford criticized President Donald Trump for blaming Canada for wildfire smoke affecting the U.S., highlighting Canada's past support to American regions. Trump accused Canada of inadequate forest management via a Truth Social post, while Michigan lawmakers requested a meeting with Canada's ambassador to address wildfire prevention and cross-border smoke threats.
- Ontario premier slams Trump wildfires criticism: ‘Absolutely unacceptable’
Ontario premier Doug Ford criticized the Trump administration and congressional Republicans for their comments on Canada's wildfire management, calling the criticism 'absolutely unacceptable'. He stated the government is working to address the situation.
- Doug Ford takes questions as Ontario battles wildfires and heavy smoke
Ontario Premier Doug Ford will speak to reporters in Thunder Bay, Ont., after meeting with wildfire evacuation co-ordinators, first responders, and families displaced by the fires. The province is currently battling wildfires and heavy smoke.
- Shooting near Toronto street festival kills 2 people and wounds 4, police say
A shooting near Toronto's Salsa on St. Clair festival killed two men and wounded four people. Police recovered two firearms and confirmed the gunfire was an exchange between two individuals targeting each other, not an active shooter situation. No suspects were arrested by the time of a late-night news conference.
- Renata Ford, wife of late Toronto mayor Rob Ford has died, premier says
Renata Ford, the wife of late Toronto mayor Rob Ford, has died, according to Ontario Premier Doug Ford.
- Alberta and Ontario propose a pipeline to carry western Canada’s oil to the east
Alberta and Ontario proposed a 3,300-kilometer pipeline to transport western Canadian oil eastward to Sarnia, Ontario, with potential future extension to Atlantic export terminals. The project faces challenges including financing, regulatory approvals, and Indigenous consultations, echoing the failure of a similar abandoned project in 2017. A feasibility study is planned, but the route, cost, and private-sector involvement remain undetermined.
- Alberta and Ontario propose a pipeline to carry western Canada’s oil to the east
Alberta and Ontario propose a 3,300-kilometer pipeline to transport western Canadian oil from Hardisty, Alberta, to Sarnia, Ontario, aiming to diversify exports beyond the U.S. The project faces challenges including financing and regulatory approvals, with a feasibility study planned. The pipeline could later extend to Canada’s Atlantic coast and is part of broader efforts to expand oil exports to Europe and Asia.
- Alberta and Ontario propose a pipeline to carry western Canada’s oil to the east
Alberta and Ontario propose a 3,300-kilometer pipeline to transport western Canadian oil to Sarnia, Ontario, with potential expansion to Canada’s Atlantic coast. The project faces challenges including financing and regulatory approvals, and follows the 2017 abandonment of a similar project called Energy East. Alberta also plans a taxpayer-subsidized Pacific Coast pipeline to boost Asian exports.
- WATCH LIVE | Premiers Ford, Smith speak to reporters
Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith are scheduled to speak to reporters at 11 a.m. ET in Calgary. The event is set to take place from Calgary.
- Ontario Premier Doug Ford on his trip to D.C. to seek a trade deal with the U.S.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford visited Washington to advocate for a U.S.-Canada trade agreement renewal ahead of a July 1 deadline. The U.S. and Canada are working to finalize the continent-wide pact.
- Trump critic Doug Ford urges president to ‘get a deal’ with Canada
Ontario Premier Doug Ford, a Trump critic, urges the U.S. president to reach a deal with Canada during his Washington visit. Ford, known for his confrontational style, adopts a diplomatic tone in his interactions.
- Ontario spent $465M more on OSAP last year. 95% of that went to private career college students, docs show
Ontario spent $465 million more on OSAP last year, with 95% of the increase going to private career college students. The Ford government cited 'unsustainable' costs for recent student assistance grant cuts, while opposition critics argue the issue stems from government policies and question the need to penalize university and publicly funded college students.
- Canada calls for US and Mexico free-trade agreement to be renewed for another 16 years
Canada urges the U.S. and Mexico to renew the USMCA free-trade agreement for another 16 years amid U.S. President Donald Trump's remarks suggesting Canada could become the 51st U.S. state. Canada's trade minister, Dominic LeBlanc, sent a letter advocating for the agreement's continuation, while Trump's comments sparked backlash from Canadian officials.
- Caroline Mulroney resigning from Ford government's cabinet, Ontario legislature
Caroline Mulroney is resigning from the Ontario legislature and Premier Doug Ford's cabinet after serving since 2018 in roles including Treasury Board president and Francophone Minister. She cited a desire to start a new chapter in her resignation letter.
- Ontario Premier Doug Ford slams 'ridiculous' court ruling that bars clearing an encampment
Ontario Premier Doug Ford criticized a court ruling that prevents the clearance of an encampment, calling the decision 'ridiculous.' The ruling blocks authorities from removing the encampment, which Ford opposes.
- Ontario Premier Doug Ford responds to criticism of U.S. liquor ban: "We didn't start this at all"
Ontario Premier Doug Ford defends Canada's U.S. liquor ban, stating 'We didn't start this at all,' while Prime Minister Mark Carney attributes the trade dispute to President Trump's tariffs. Ford discusses potential conditions for lifting the boycott on 'The Takeout' program.